Thursday, February 19, 2015

Envy

"The more we have, the more we want. And the only cure is to break the cycle of relativity." - Predictably Irrational

I realized how much I have changed and grown over the years when the subject of "envy" came up in class today. Professor asked us to describe what it's like to feel envious and what we do to handle the feeling. I'm sure everyone has felt envious of others in their lives. I, too, used to feel that way a lot...especially when you add social media into our gen y lives.

But I realized something today. A kind gentleman has taught me so much on this subject. I have never met anyone with such a big heart. I have never seen him envious of others. I have never heard him talk negatively about anyone. Whenever something good happened to someone, he would say "good for him!" "good for her!" "good for them!" and he genuinely meant it. I didn't believe he was sincere at first but two years I was with him, he remained consistent in his character. That kind of thinking has influenced me and has shaped my way of thinking towards life.

Now whenever I hear good news about others or just see their glamorous photos on social media, I hardly and rarely ever had the "envy" feeling...If they were my friends, I'd just think good for them! Really, there's no point in being envious of other people. Sure, you can make it as some kind of motivation for you to better yourself, but most of the time, being envious just leaves you bitter and unhappy with your life. Instead, be happy for those people and honestly, you end up being happy yourself with the blissful feeling of warmth and kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment